Hot Flashes in Hot Weather? Tips to help keep cool…
Hot flashes and night sweats can be frustrating year-round but the heat of the summer months can add to both their frequency and severity. Aside from hormone replacement, medication or supplements that you may have discussed with your physician, here are some simple hot-flash reducing or coping tips you may want to try during the hot weather….
• Dress in light cotton and natural breathable fabrics (light colors, too)
• AVOID alcohol, caffeine, tobacco and spicy foods
• Stay well hydrated by drinking water throughout the day
• Choose cold beverages and foods over hot
• Garden & work in the yard during early mornings or early evenings to avoid the mid-day hot sun
• Keep a spritzer bottle filled with cool water on hand (pack it in a cooler when traveling)
• Utilize flexible gel-packs chilled in the freezer for the neck, wrist or pillow (many available on-line and in stores)
• Lightly spritz sheets with water before going to bed – maybe try adding a drop of essential lavender oil to the bottle before spraying for its soothing, sleep-inducing property
• When you feel a hot flash coming on, try focused deep-breathing and muscle self-relaxation techniques to manage and potentially reduce the flashes. For more information on breathing techniques see WebMD’s page at http://tinyurl.com/7t9pxrx
What tricks do YOU use to manage those pesky hot flashes??